Ben recently spoke at a BC conference and we summarized all the information. You may
be able to use in this as Abbotsford Realtors, Mission Realtors, Chilliwack Realtors and
Maple Ridge Realtors working in the Fraser Valley Real Estate sector.
• The Eurozone currently has a 25% unemployment rate overall, with a 50%
unemployment rate among young people. They have a very different culture, however,
where not everyone has to be 100% independent and people just share and move in with
one another if things get tight.
• He predicts that spending will increase in the Eurozone over the next 2 years
• He currently feels that Germany has the most attractive real estate market in the
• He feels that days of massive increases with oil and commodity prices are over, and
we will see those prices stabilize.
• The US is generating more jobs in higher paying sectors, instead of just more overall
jobs. This is creating more stability
• Delinquency rates in the US are back to normal, and credit scores are at an all
time high. People have not been spending for a number of years, and the lenders were
not doing much lending. As a result, the people are “starving”, and can’t wait to start
spending again. The banks will begin to open up due to higher credit scores and better
quality jobs, so this will drive the economy going forward and likely cause interest rate
• He doesn’t expect the Feds to touch interest rates until 2015 at the earliest
• Long term rates will likely top out about 80bps-90bps higher than today. People
need to remember that an increase from 2% to 4% is still a 100% increase in rates, which
has major impact on the economy, so t keep that in mind when wondering how high rates
• Canada actually borrowed our way out of the recession. As a result, we are carrying
more debt than most countries coming out of a recession, making us more susceptible to
rising interest rates.
• The US lowered debt levels during the recession, so they won’t feel the impact of
rising rates as much as Canada will.
• He feels that the Canadian dollar had no business being at par with the US dollar,
and actually belongs somewhere between $0.85 and $0.90. The reason we got so high
was that while the rest of the world was working through some very difficult times,
Canada stood out as a stable place to invest money. Now that things are improving in the
Eurozone and US, we are seeing less investment in Canada, hence the dropping Canadian
• Before going into the recession in 2008, the US had build 60% more than Canada,
and more importantly, had 33% of their mortgages in sub prime. Sub prime mortgages in
Canada only make up 5.8% of the total.
• 30%-35% of the overall housing market in BC is owned by investors. The good
news is that, while many of these investors are foreigners, only a small portion of them
• In Vancouver, more than 50% of the investors have no mortgage or have large down
payments. This shows commitment, and is good for long term housing prices.
• Vacancy rates are currently at 1.7% in Vancouver and will gradually lower. A strong
rental market like this encourages investors and brings stability to housing prices
• Canada’s young people have record high education at the same time as record
poverty in these same people. Education isn’t translating into high paying jobs right now.
• Home ownership rate has reached its peak as 1st
the market and are being forced to rent.
This blog is written and supported by:www.Canadian1st.ca & www.MapleRdigeForSale.ca
#200 - 11830 223rd Street Maple Ridge BC V2X 5Y1
1 - 32540 Logan Ave Mission BC V2V 6G3
O 604 466 5077 or 604 826 5733
F 877 826 2621
Connect with us on Facebook:
Maple Ridge Real Estate | Maple Ridge Homes For Sale
Maple Ridge real estate for sale, Maple Ridge REALTORS®, and Maple Ridge MLS®
Listings. Access Maple Ridge real estate listings, Maple Ridge REALTORS®, new
homes and Maple Ridge foreclosures. We also have information on Maple Ridge home selling,
home buying and mortgages, movers and other realty services in Maple Ridge and area.
Mission Real Estate | Mission Homes For Sale
Mission real estate for sale, Mission REALTORS®, and Mission MLS® Listings. Access Mission
real estate listings, Mission REALTORS®, new homes and Mission foreclosures. We also have
information on Mission home selling, home buying and mortgages, movers and other realty
services in Mission and area.
We love providing the flexibility to exceed expectations. The Open Platform Real Estate
Concept for Innovators and Adaptors.